Rodbusters will use machines, equipment, tools, and blowtorches to shape steel rods for use in concrete projects. In this role, you must understand the construction process and how rods reinforce the concrete foundation or framing. Rodbusters will order the correct number of rods and mesh for placement, cut the iron into pieces, wrap them in mesh and fasten them to concrete forms.
- Study blueprints and diagrams or specifications to determine work requirements.
- Determine quantities, sizes, shapes, and locations of reinforcing rods from blueprints, sketches, or oral instructions.
- Position and secure steel bars, rods, cables, or mesh in concrete forms using fasteners and hand tools.
- Cut rods to required lengths, using metal shears, hacksaws, bar cutters, acetylene torches, etc.
- Place blocks under rebar to hold the bars off the deck when reinforcing floors.
- Cut and fit wire mesh or fabric, using hooked rods, and position fabric or mesh in concrete to reinforce concrete.
- Assist in concrete pours.
- Ensure that proper safety and incident reporting procedures are followed.
- Reports all problems or accidents to their immediate supervisor, Safety Manager and Operations Manager immediately.
- Attends weekly job site safety meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Foreman, Superintendent, and Operations Manager.
- Experience in the construction or contracting industry.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Must be able to stand, stoop, bend, and crouch for extended periods of time up to ten (10) hours per day.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs, carry forms.
- Must work safely at all times.